Monday, April 9, 2012

Civility

ci·vil·i·ty/səˈvilitē/

Noun:
  1. Formal politeness and courtesy in behavior or speech.
  2. Polite remarks used in formal conversation.
The dictionary definition is certainly not what I think of when I think of civility, especially at Furman. I think of being able to leave my keys and wallet on a Dining Hall table to reserve it while I go get food; I think of being able to engage in (relatively!) polite political discussion with people of opposing viewpoints during class; I think of leaving my iPod in a practice room for three days and it still being there when I came back!

Furman is wrought with civility in many different ways. How do you think of civility? I think of George Washington's first rule of civility:

"Every Action done in Company, ought to be with Some Sign of Respect, to those that are Present."
Unrelated but still important, come to the North Village end of the year cookout!
Come hang out 6pm - 8pm before Spring Concert!

No comments:

Post a Comment